In 1986 I joined Lancashire Constabulary and served in a number of departments until 2001 when I joined the Collision Investigation Unit. I obtained a City and Guilds qualification in Forensic Collision Investigation and Reconstruction. In that role, I attended, investigated and reviewed many serious and fatal collisions involving vehicles of all classes. In 2012 I was appointed as the Senior Collision Investigator for Lancashire, a position that involved supervising the Collision Investigation Unit and managing the development of other Collision Investigators and Vehicle Examiners.
I undertook a number of different training courses in relation to forensically examining a wide range of vehicles. I carried out many varied vehicle examinations, including post-collision, damage comparison and detailed mechanical examinations. The vehicles examined also varied considerably from mopeds and disability scooters to large goods vehicles and a 130- tonne mobile crane.
I examine vehicles on a weekly basis and am experienced at analysing damage for crush depth, profile, severity and compatibility. Those examinations also encompass pre-impact condition and analysis of components for potential pre-incident defects. I regularly examine seatbelts and other supplemental restraints to establish correct usage during collisions.
I am familiar with reviewing engineers and investigators reports, photographs and scene plans and producing detailed reports.
I have regularly given expert evidence at Coroner’s, Criminal and Civil Courts.
I have continued to develop my knowledge and experience throughout my service and have attained the following;
- I am a member of the Society of Operations Engineers (MSOE)
- I am a member of the Institute of Road Transport Engineers (IRTE)
- I am a member of the Institute of the Motor Industry (MIMI) (2015)
- I hold Licentiateship to the City and Guilds Institute in Forensic Collision Investigation(LCGI)
- Bond Solon – Civil Procedure Rules for Expert Witnesses Certificate (2016)I have lectured in vehicle examination and collision investigation techniques at the Universities of Bolton and Central Lancashire. I have carried out investigations and reviews
for the Independent Police Complaints Commission and have worked on fatal accident investigations with the Health and Safety Executive. I have worked with Myerscough College of Agriculture developing a course instructing in techniques for the examination agricultural vehicles and plant.
Over the years my duties have broadened and I have gained extensive experience in the following disciplines;
- Higher BTec –Vehicle Examination, including Light and Heavy Vehicle Inspection
- City and Guilds Advanced Motorcycle Inspection
- Inspection of agricultural vehicles and construction plant
- Tyre construction and failure analysis – Goodyear Dunlop Tyres
- Analysis of impact damage to motor vehicles and investigation of damage compatibility
- Identification of unrelated damage to motor vehicles and establishing compatible damage on collision damaged vehicles.
- Analysis of crush damage using computer software
- Forensic examination of light bulbs – Sheffield Hallam University
- Vehicle electronic diagnostics training
- Body Control Systems course relating to ABS/Traction Control and SupplementalRestraint systems
- Vehicle dynamics and stability testing
- Motor vehicle crash testing and damage analysis
- Downloading and analysis of Siemens VDO incident data recorders Training in theanalysis of pedal cycle and pedestrian involved collisions
- Motorcycle Collisions and Dynamics
- Motorcycle MOT inspection and testing
- Motorcycle power output restriction
- BMW off-road motorcycle course
- Motorcycle Stability Testing – authorised test rider, AP Plus Idiada, Spain
- Trained by Leica GeoSystems in the use of electronic surveying equipment
- Analysis of GPS tracking data for collision investigation
- Experienced in the use of Thatcham escribe
- Trained to use Glass’s Market Value Assessor
- Health and Safety risk assessor
I hold a full driver’s licence, motorcycle licence, LGV licence including articulated vehicles and PCV licence. During my police service I was qualified as a VIP escort driver, VIP escort rider and ACPO pursuit instructor.
The split between instructions received from claimant, defendant and single joint expert is shown below.
The above split is based on instructions received between 31/05/15 and 01/06/16
Outside work I am a member of the National Escort Group (NEG) providing motorcycle escort for British Cycling races and I am a motorcycle official for British Triathlon. I regularly assist event organisers in the planning of routes and in particular the safety requirements for road events.